Deadline to register
Applications and fees must be submitted by February 1, 2019
Saturday, February 23, 2019
University of Minnesota School of Music | Ferguson Hall
Lloyd Ultan Recital Hall
2106 4th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55455
Saturday, March 23, 2019 at Flute Fest
Current UMFA members in grades 7 through 12 are eligible to compete. A competitor may only place first once per grade division and may compete only in his/her grade division. The contest fee is $15 plus the fee of a current UMFA membership.
- Preliminary and Final rounds are live performances of solos with piano before judges.
- Only the competitor and accompanying pianist are allowed in the contest room.
- The same pieces must be used for the Final round.
- Memorization is not required.
- No music is given to the judges.
- Please note that you will not be able to rehearse with your accompanist before you play at the prelims.
- Competitors who advance to finals will be notified no later than March 1, 2019 by email.
7th & 8th Grade Division
Perform 2 contrasting pieces from different periods, which must total at least 4 minutes and no more than 6 minutes. Two competitors may proceed to the finals.
9th & 10th Grade Division
Perform 2 contrasting pieces from different periods, which must total at least 6 minutes and no more than 8 minutes. Two competitors may proceed to the finals.
11th & 12th Grade Division
Perform 2 contrasting pieces from different periods, which must total at least 7 minutes and no more than 9 minutes. Three competitors may proceed to the finals.
• Judges are not required to award a winner if flutists do no meet UMFA standards
• Competitor must choose repertoire with piano accompaniment.
• Competitor must perform the repertoire on the application.
• Competitor must provide own accompanist for prelims and finals.
• Competitor must be at onsite and ready to perform 15 minutes before assigned time.
• In case of cancellations, competitors may be asked to perform early.
• Applications and fees must be submitted by February 1, 2019
The following will result in disqualification:
Contest fees will not be returned to disqualify competitors.
- If competitor changes repertoire after registration.
- If competitor is not ready to perform 15 minutes before scheduled.
- If finalist is not present for awards ceremony. The ceremony will follow the contest as soon as the judges make their decision.
- If pieces are performed without accompaniment.
- If application and fees are not submitted by February 1, 2019.
- If contestant performs different repertoire than on the application
- If the application is incomplete
To receive your comment sheets by mail:
To receive your prelim comment sheets by U.S. mail, please bring a stamped and self-addressed envelope (4 1/8 by 9 1/2) to the registration desk at prelims.