Application Deadline : January 1, 2021
Flutists ages 18-31 are invited to compete in the Upper Midwest Flute Association (UMFA) Young Artist Competition. In even years, the competition is open to residents and students in the Upper Midwest (MN, SD, ND, IA, and WI). In odd years, the competition is open to all flutists. Applicants will submit audio recordings for the preliminary round. Three finalists will be chosen to submit a second round video recording, which will be presented at 2021 UMFA Virtual Flute Fest. First and second prize winners will receive cash prizes of $600 and $400, respectively.
1. All who enter the competition must be current members or must join the Upper Midwest Flute Association. If you are not currently a member, please visit UMFA Membership Page. ($20 full-time students/$35 adults).
2. The non-refundable competition fee is $40. This fee is in addition to the membership fee.
3. The competition is open to flutists ages 18-31, who have not reached their 32nd birthday on or before the date of Flute Fest (February 21st, 2021).
4. All recordings become property of the Upper Midwest Flute Association.
5. Application, application fee, membership fee, and first round audio recording must be submitted by 11:59 PM CST on January 1, 2021.
6. Selected finalists will submit a single-take video performance for presentation and adjudication at the 2021 Virtual Flute Fest.
Applicants will submit a varied program of unedited audio recordings to the UMFA Dropbox. Total time must not exceed 15 minutes and can include accompanied or unaccompanied works. Accompanied works may be performed with live, prerecorded, or without accompaniment. Recordings will be coded and sent to a panel of judges.
Final Round Recording:
Selected finalists will submit a single-take, unedited video recording to the UMFA Dropbox of a program of unaccompanied flute repertoire. Performances must not exceed 20 minutes, including time between pieces, and must include at least one piece by a BIPOC composer. Finalists may repeat pieces submitted in the preliminary round. Recordings will be coded and sent to a panel of judges. Final round recordings due February 16, 2020.
APPLICATION AND RECORDINGS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY MIDNIGHT ON JANUARY 1, 2021.
Applicants will receive notification of competition results by January 15, 2021. For questions regarding the Young Artist Competition, please contact Brian Allred.