Application Deadline : February 15th, 2022
Flutists ages 18-30 are invited to compete in the Upper Midwest Flute Association (UMFA) Young Artist Competition. For 2022, the competition is open only to flutists and students from MN, IA, SD, ND, and WI. Preliminary auditions are by video recording. Finals will be held on Saturday, April 2, 2022, at UMFA Flute Fest in Minneapolis.
Winners will receive cash prizes of $600, $400, and $200.
Masking and vaccination/testing requirements apply to all in-person events.
UMFA will continue to monitor the COVID situation and update policies and format as appropriate.
To view the current policies, visit the COVID-19 page.
1. All who enter the competition must be current members or must join the Upper Midwest Flute Association. If you are not currently a member, please join UMFA first by becoming a member.
2. The competition fee is $40. This fee is in addition to the membership fee.
3. For the live final round, finalists are responsible for hiring an accompanist and paying them directly.
4. The competition is open to flutists ages 18-30, who have not reached their 31st birthday before April 2, 2022.
5. Finalists must be available to perform on April 2, 2022, at UMFA's Flute Fest at Plymouth Congregational Church, 1900 Nicollet Ave. South, Minneapolis, MN. Travel and accommodations must be paid by the participant.
Applicants will submit a YouTube link to their unedited audition video of two works, one from the Baroque era, and one piece from Flute Music by French Composers, ed. Louis Moyse (Schirmer),
both with accompaniment where required UPDATE (1/16/22): Accompaniment is optional for the preliminary round. Individual movements from larger works will be accepted for the Baroque selection. Total playing time must be a MAXIMUM OF 15 MINUTES. Recordings will be coded and sent to a panel of judges.
Please also include a short biography with your registration.
Each finalist will perform a 25-minute program of their choice, live in Minneapolis, on April 2, 2022, as part of Flute Fest. Finalists must submit their program to the Young Artist Coordinator by February 21, 2022.
Applicants will receive notification of competition results by February 28, 2022.
For questions regarding the Young Artist Competition, please contact Christian Lampkin at email@example.com.