Application Deadline : February 1, 2020
Flutists ages 18-30 are invited to compete in the Upper Midwest Flute Association (UMFA) Young Artist Competition. For 2020, the competition is open only to flutists and students from MN, IA, SD, ND, and WI. Preliminary auditions are by audio recording. Finals will be held on Saturday, April 4, 2020, at UMFA Flute Fest. Winners will receive cash prizes of $600, $400, and $200.
1. All who enter the competition must be current members or must join the Upper Midwest Flute Association. If you are not currently a member, please join UMFA first by becoming a member.
2. The competition fee is $40. This fee is in addition to the membership fee.
3. For the live final round, finalists are responsible for hiring an accompanist and paying them directly.
4. The competition is open to flutists ages 18-30, who have not reached their 31st birthday before April 4, 2020.
5. Finalists must be available to perform on April 4, 2020, at UMFA's Flute Fest at Plymouth Congregational Church, 1900 Nicollet Ave. South, Minneapolis, MN. Travel and accommodations must be paid by the participant.
Applicants will submit (via Dropbox upload) an unedited audio recording of two works, one from the Baroque era, and one piece from Flute Music by French Composers, ed. Louis Moyse (Schirmer), both with accompaniment where required. Individual movements from larger works will be accepted for the Baroque selection. Total playing time must be a MAXIMUM OF 15 MINUTES. Recordings will be coded and sent to a panel of judges.
Please also include a short biography with your recording submission in your Dropbox upload.
Each finalist will perform a 25-minute program of his/her choice, live in Minnesota, on April 4, 2020, as part of Flute Fest. Finalists must submit their program to the Young Artist Coordinator by February 20, 2020. The final round is open to the public.
Applicants will receive notification of competition results by February 15, 2020.
For questions regarding the Young Artist Competition, please contact Barb Leibundguth at email@example.com